Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Making Adjustments

We've had some changes occur over the last few weeks here on the mission field.  We're adjusting to now being a family of five and having a little girl in the house. Perhaps the more challenging transition came about when Barry was informed that Anouce, our talented translator, had decided to take a different path. His church elected to send him to a six-week seminar in order to train him to be the youth pastor, and provide a paid position when the training is completed.

With a schedule full of Bible studies and preaching engagements, a translator is pretty necessary.  A young man from Port-au-Prince was interviewed and came along with the team a few times to see how he would do.   Between he and Josnel, they were working together to translate while Barry preached. Last Sunday, when there was another opportunity to preach at Lifeline, the young man wanted Josnel to translate on his own. In the end, it was decided that Josnel would be the way to go. Looking back, we can see that it was likely the Lord's plan all along. We had wondered at first why Josnel had "tagged along" with Anouce from the first time they went preaching. It turned out to be a tremendous blessing that another English-speaking Haitian was right there already on the team.  He does a good job now, and with more practice  I believe he will end up being an excellent translator.

A look inside Lifeline Mission church building; Josnel translating 

We also enjoyed a week-long visit from my parents since the last update. The children really enjoyed their time with Grandma and Grandpa, and I was blessed to have the help and time with my mom while I recovered after the baby. It was quite an experience for my dad, as he went near and far with Barry to various Bible studies,preaching and running errands around Haiti.

A new church was on the schedule this past Sunday, ironically in Titanyan, where we would have been going to share at the church Anouce attends. The Lord gave a clear and powerful message to the group, who seemed to receive it well.

This week Barry continues to fulfill the roles of problem-solver, preacher, and daddy. The team has Bible studies scheduled every day this week, and he's working to help people with all their various needs in between, while also doing the running to get Bethany her citizenship paperwork taken care of.  Pray that he can remain strong both spiritually and physically as he takes on so many tasks every day.


Thank you for checking in with us!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Julia, thank you for taking time to share with us again!
    God's ways are all wise! We see the present & He sees the first & last. (Glad you still have a translator!) I'm happy you got to spend time with your parents as well! I'm sure it was a new experience for them😊
    We will keep praying for you & please do likewise! Love, Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Julia...
    Just thinking of you this morning...praying that your day is blessed and you are encouraged by the Lord's promises to us!
    There are times when I need to be reminded of His goodness to me and this week seems to be one of those weeks, then the Lord brought me these verses and I thought I'd share them with you...

    Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. Psalm 42:5

    Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. Psalm 42:11

    “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.” Psalm 43:5

    Three times David encouraged and reminded himself to hope in God and praise Him as he was on the run from Absalom... discouraged and alone!!

    Then in Psalm 103 he pens these words...
    Ps 103:1-5
    1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
    2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
    3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
    4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
    5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

    May these verses encourage your heart today too!!
    Love, Marie

    ReplyDelete